kinda wanna write everyday starting july (failed)

Freedom Writers

Watching the movie for two hours for free with ads on YouTube seems to be just the right choice and a perfect way to close the June even though it's still 5-ish pm now. And yes, I just found out that we can enjoy the movie without actually purchasing it first because of this ad option.

There are so many things I want to talk about here.

I can somehow relate to the movie since I am currently living here in the U.S now. At least after going through my first semester in spring before coming into three months of summer breaks in which honestly found pretty annoying because it is just too long for me personally but thank God it is only one more month left before I can go back to school for the Fall semester in August.

As someone with a teaching background, I can confidently say that this is one of the top three must-watch movies for teachers among the other two movies as dead poets society and anime assassination classroom. I don't know about you, but for me, these three are the top three.

The movie addresses the issues of racism by not only talking about the black but also the Latinx and the Asian altogether. This takes my mind back to a class back in spring, not only one but two, well actually all of the three classes I took discussed this matter at one point during the semester. In one class, we talk about it because it was brought an article about how the academic journal publications are somewhat predominantly white. In the other class, we talk about it with a guest speaker via zoom, which I believe is a white advocating the publication process to be more open to those coming from people of color background. And my one white friend for the two classes, because we have the class together, felt uncomfortable. While in the other class, I got the chance to actually talk about this issue, it's a group project presentation, a group of two actually, so it was only me and my other friend. One classmate actually cried because this issue is sensitive to be talked about when she shared her thoughts. I thought they all are first speakers since they all are from here, by here I mean from the U.S, and not international students. Yet, they are ESL speakers because their first language is Spanish, one of my professors is actually a Latinx and got experiences of getting comments from people saying that he can talk perfect English. This is absolutely a very racist thing to do and very common.

Another thing I can relate to is the mass shooting since the place I live in at least has news about gunshots happening every week broadcasted and spread from the local news stations. This got me thinking that anything can happen at any time to me really. I'm lucky I'm still alive now. In addition, the not-so-friendly homeless in this state. They can shout and curse everyone without any specific reason at all.

I am currently taking a TESOL certification course online during the summer now for fun that got nothing to do with my grad school so my funding does not cover it, and I am currently in course 3 out of 8, talking about lesson plans. So, the first view minutes scene when the teacher proposes her lesson plan before starting teaching and then got comments about the list of books is also relatable for me. One friend of mine who is a teacher, by a friend I mean classmate, shared the experience of how complicated the system in U.S schools in terms of secondary schools. In fact, some of my classmates also have teaching career at the moment and shared the same concern about teachers cannot really choose what books to teach in classrooms because the schools or the authorities or the system will not allow them to do so.

I also like the idea of composition books, basically a notebook, but it has this very default cover book which is basically black and white and the word composition written on it. These composition books are distributed by the teacher to all of the students in the class to write something every day (and I think I wanna do the same thing starting July because a.k.a tomorrow). Well, I am studying composition studies so it is kind of making me feel at least something. I also just found out that high school in the U.S takes four years; freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior. I mean, I have watched lots of movies but I just realized it now. I am so not proud of myself. Please don't judge me. Hehe.

Comments