an enormous apple tree



We had an enormous apple tree in our garden only a few yard from the kitchen window. “We really must cut that tree down,” my husband said, soon after we moved into the house. “I’m sure it’s dangerous. “Don’t be silly,” said. I quiet liked the tree myself. “It’s quiet safe. It isn’t going to fall on the house!” “Well, I read something in the paper the other day,” he said. “A tree crashed into a woman’s bedroom during storm. She was going to get rid of the tree – and now she’s in hospital.

In the end, after several arguments of this kind, we asked a couple of workmen to come along and cut the tree down. It was not an easy Job. In fact, it took them all morning. But at last the tree was lying on the ground. “What about the roots? the men asked. “Shall we take them out too or leave them?” “Oh, take them out<” I said. “Let’s make a good job of it!.”

This took all afternoon and I was beginning to think about the size of the bill! There was along a big hole in the garden! “You’ll be able to put all your old rubbish in there!” The men said as they left.

My husband climbed down into the hole and began to look around. “Het, look!” he called up to me. “There are some old coins here! And I think they’re gold!” I climbed down into for the hole and we started to dig around, hoping to find some more coins. We did – and we also found a small metal box. We broke it open. It was full of jewellery – rings, necklaces, and found bracelets.

“Gosh!” I said, “I suppose someone hid these things in the ground – perhaps during a war!” “They’re probably worth a small fortune!” my husband said. “Well, aren’t you glad now that you got rid of that old tree.

Class         : Reading 1
Lecturer    : Nurfani, S.S, M.A
Semester  : First
Source      : Lesson material photocopy 

Comments